- The contest is ‘open submission’.
- There is no entry fee.
- To register and enter this contest you have to agree to these Rules and Regulations.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age to participate. If the subject of a photograph is a minor (under the age of 18), the photographer must provide a written release from the parent or legal guardian of the minor.
- Only the photographer can submit his or her images. Images may not be submitted by a third party on behalf of a photographer.
- All images must be submitted through the official contest website.
- Professional and amateur photographers may submit.
- Photographs may be submitted by photographers from any country in the world.
- Entries may only be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry.
- An official digital submission entry form must be completed with each individual photograph submitted.
- Submitted photos may have been previously published.
- Upon request, photographers must include a model release for all photographs submitted. Failure to provide such release upon request may result in disqualification.
- Photos that have been digitally or otherwise enhanced to change the original impression are only eligible for submission in the Experimental category.
- If any doubts occur regarding the authenticity of the digital image, the original RAW file will be requested by the Red Bull Illume judges for analysis.
- Inappropriate submissions will disqualify the photographer from the contest.
- All decisions by the Red Bull Illume judges are final.
Only action and adventure sports images and images that capture the culture and lifestyle surrounding these sports may be submitted. Qualifying sports are listed below. Additional action and adventure sports images that are not listed may be submitted as well but the decision to accept and judge images will be at the discretion of Red Bull Illume judges. The Red Bull Illume judges’ decision is final.
- Adventure Racing
- B.A.S.E. Jumping
- Beach Volleyball
- BMX Biking
- Body Boarding
- Cliff Diving
- Freestyle Soccer
- Ice Climbing
- Inline Skating
- Wildwater freestyle (rodeo)
- Motocross Freestyle
- Motor Bike Trial
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Free climbing
- Big Air
- Half pipe
- New School
- Big Wave
- Wingsuit Flying
- The submission phase takes place between December 1st, 2012 and April 30th, 2013. Photos must be submitted during this period.
- Photos must have been taken after February 28, 2010.
- Photos must be submitted to one of the ten categories.
- Photographers may submit photos to every category.
- Photographers may not submit the same image to more than one category.
- Photographers may only enter a maximum of five images per category.
- Once a photograph has been submitted, it is final and may not be replaced by another photograph.
- Due to limited server capacities we suggest submitting in advance of the deadline to avoid dropouts.
- Images shot on film or digitally will be accepted. All film prints and transparencies must be drum scanned at high resolution and delivered digitally. No prints will be accepted.
IMAGE FILES/FORMAT for SUBMISSION
- Online submission format: JPG.
- Minimum picture size: 10 mega pixels.
- Maximum file size: 10 megabytes.
- All digital images must contain original metadata. If such information is not provided, images may be disqualified.
- All digital images must be shot with a minimum 10 mega pixel camera.
- All images must be available for re-submitting in their original size. All semi-finalists will be required to re-submit the originals in RAW or tiff format at 300dpi.
A panel of about 50 esteemed photo editors from international top publications will judge the 250 semi-finalists. The list can be seen in full here.
Official contest judges will base their decisions on a mix of technical superiority, composition, creativity, impact, artistic flair and overall qualities of photographic excellence.
Pre-Selection Judging: Red Bull Illume internal judging panel
Rounds 1 and 2: Photo editor judges without Red Bull Illume internal judging panel
In case of a tie (in any round) Red Bull Illume internal judging panel will determine the winner.
Red Bull Illume internal judging panel will choose 25 images from each of the 10 categories to advance to round one.
Official contest judges will receive a book of the 250 semi-finalist images. No metadata or photographer information is included to maintain impartiality. Each judge will vote for five images in each category to advance to round two. After all judges have voted, the five images of each category with the most votes will advance to round two.
The five finalists of each category will be announced. Each judge will vote for one of the five finalist images in each of the ten categories. The image with the most votes in each category will win first place honors. In case of a tie, the image with the most votes in round one will advance.
IN CASE OF A TIE
In case of a tie (in any round), Red Bull Illume internal judging panel will cast a determining vote and choose a winner.
The decisions of the official judges are final.
Official contest judges will vote from the ten category winning images for the Red Bull Illume Overall Winner. The image with the greatest amount of votes will win.
Who better to choose the best action and adventure sports image than the athletes themselves? We will invite elite athletes from every discipline to give us their opinion. Athletes will vote for one image from the fifty finalists. The image with the most votes will win the Athletes’ Choice Award.
We also ask the public to lend us their eyes. As soon as the 50 finalists are announced members of the general public will have the opportunity to vote for his or her favorite image. The image with the most votes will win the Peoples’ Choice Award.
The overall winner will receive the new Leica S camera, while category winners will each receive a Leica X2. Other prizes will include broncolor's new Move, their portable flash and the latest strap system from Sun-Sniper.
WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS
Submitting photographers must own all rights to any photographs entered in this contest. By submitting an image, the photographer represents and warrants that such submission does not infringe any third-party rights or other rights protected by law.
All images submitted for consideration in the Illume Image Quest 2013 contest remain the sole property of the photographer. Entrants retain copyright over each of their images.
Entrants grant Red Bull GmbH and its affiliates, subsidiaries and partners right to use the submitted photos without compensation in the context of Red Bull Illume, the Red Bull Illume contests, the Red Bull Illume Tours or for Red Bull Illume promotions, marketing, advertising, events and exhibitions. Notwithstanding the aforesaid this includes – without a restriction in time – the worldwide use of the submitted photos in any media, in particular any print-media (e.g. magazines, newspapers, books) and electronic/digital offline and online media (e.g. on Red Bull Illume or associated websites or social internet platforms and networks). To protect the copyright of the photographer, the Red Bull GmbH will use the submitted photos only in low resolution whenever this is reasonable and technically possible (e.g. on the internet). Credits will be given according to the customary practice in the media business.
In the event a medium (e.g. book with semi-finalist images) is produced in connection with the Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2013, all profits resulting from the sale of the medium will be donated to the Wings for Life foundation. Only Wings for Life will benefit from these sales. Photographers submitting to Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2013, accept that their images could be used in such a medium and grant Red Bull a license to use these images for the benefit of Wings for Life.
The Wings for Life Spinal Cord Research Foundation is a privately funded non-profit organization, which follows the principal aim of promoting research worldwide in order to expedite scientific and clinical progress towards a putative cure for Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Paralysis. Esteemed athletes and personalities act as Wings for Life ambassadors, such as Hannes Arch, Tarek Rasouli and Troy Lee. Red Bull Illume supports this foundation and any donations to Wings for Life from Red Bull Illume will be used solely for the purpose of research and development.
Entrant acknowledges and agrees that his personal data contained in the Application Form will be registered in electronic form by methods of automated data processing by Red Bull GmbH. Entrant data may be passed on to affiliates of Red Bull GmbH, subsidiaries and to Red Bull’s contractual partners. Red Bull GmbH will delete all personal data upon the Entrant’s written request for deletion of his data.
Entrant agrees that such personal data will be used primarily in connection with the Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2013, including but not limited to facilitate communication with the entrant and storage of data for consideration of possible productions/assignments or any kind of co-operation in the future with third parties.
The invalidity of one or more provisions in this Rules and Regulations shall not affect the validity of the rest of this document. The void or ineffective provision shall be replaced by Red Bull GmbH by such provision that best legally and economically approximates to the purpose of the void one.
In as much as legally permissible:
These Rules and Regulations are subject to Austrian law. If User has its registered office in an EU-member state, in Iceland, Norway or Switzerland, any disputes shall be solved by the competent court for Vienna–Inner City, Austria. If User has its registered office in any other country, all disputes shall be finally settled under the Rules of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce by one arbitrator appointed in accordance with said rules. The place of the arbitration shall be Vienna, Austria.