The following terms and conditions apply for your participation in the Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019 (the “contest”), organized by Red Bull GmbH, am Brunnen 1, 5330 Fuschl am See, Austria. Herein we explain the rules of participation as well as how your submitted images may be used in the context of Red Bull Illume Image Quest and in support of the Wings for Life foundation. By submitting an image, either via redbullillume.com or on Instagram by tagging @redbullillume and using hashtag #rbi19submission, the entrant accepts these terms and conditions.
You can submit to the main contest right here!
- The contest is “open submission”.
- There is no entry fee.
- The term “images” refers to still and moving images.
- The term “photographer” refers to the creator of an image.
- Any creators of an image may submit (whether amateur, rookie or professional photographers).
- Photographers from all over the world may submit photographs.
- To register and enter this contest you have to agree to these Rules and Regulations/ Terms of participation.
- A submitting photographer is referred to as “Entrant”.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older to participate.
- If the subject of an image or a video is a minor (under the age of 18), the creator must provide a written release form on request, signed by the legal representative(s), e.g. parents or legal guardian of the minor according to local law.
- Upon request, photographers must include a model and location release for all images submitted. Failure to provide such release may result in disqualification.
- Only the photographers can submit their images. Images may not be submitted from a third party on behalf of a photographer.
- Photographers can only submit their images to one account.
- Entries may only be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry.
- Apart from the category “Best of Instagram by SanDisk”, all images must be submitted through the official contest website.
- Images for the “Best of Instagram by SanDisk” category have to be submitted on Instagram.
- An official digital submission entry form must be completed with each individual image submitted.
- Images that have been previously published or submitted to another contest, may be submitted.
- Images that have been digitally or otherwise modified to change the original impression are only eligible for submission in the “Creative by Skylum” category unless explicitly stipulated otherwise within the section “Image Files / Format for Submission”. An exception to this rule are Instagram filters within the “Best of Instagram by SanDisk” category.
- If any doubts occur regarding the authenticity of the digital image, the original file (RAW or original file in case of mobile) will be requested by the Red Bull Illume judges for analysis for all categories.
- Inappropriate submissions will disqualify the photographer from the contest.
- All decisions by the Red Bull Illume judges are final, which for the avoidance of doubts includes that legal review of any such decision is excluded.
Only images that capture the adventure and action sport culture and lifestyle may be submitted. Whether they take place in the air, sea, mountains, cities or on rivers and trails, a broad range of adventure and action sports submissions are accepted. Excluded, however, are traditional team sports and motor sports, such as Formula 1, stock and sport car racing and MotoGP. The decision to accept and judge will be at the discretion of Red Bull Illume judges. The Red Bull Illume judges' decision is final, which for the avoidance of doubts includes that legal review of any such decision is excluded.
Submission of Images / Specifications
- The submission phase for all categories other than the “Best of Instagram” category takes place between May 1, 2019 and July 31, 2019, midnight CET. Photos must be submitted during this period.
- The “Best of Instagram” category takes place monthly from February to June, 2019, as specified below within the section “Submission for Best of Instagram”.
- Submit images well in advance of the deadline to avoid complications caused by high upload volumes.
- Images must have been taken after March 31, 2016.
- Images must be submitted to one of the eleven categories.
- Photographers may submit images to every category.
- Photographers may submit the same image to a maximum of 2 categories.
- Photographers may only enter a maximum of 10 images per category.
- Once an image has been submitted, it is final and may not be replaced by another image and cannot be moved to another category.
- National Contests have their own regulations which will be outlined on the respective contest subpage and will be provided before the national contests starts.
- Images from mobile devices (smartphones) are allowed to be submitted to any category as long as they fulfill the criteria as outlined in the respective section within “Image Files/Format for Submission”.
- Images for the “Best of Instagram” Category have to fulfill the criteria as outlined in the respective section within “Image Files/Format for Submission” and can be submitted as described in “Submission for Best of Instagram”.
- Video submissions are only allowed to be submitted to the “Moving Images” Category and have to fulfill the criteria as outlined in the respective section within “Image Files/Format for Submission”.
Submission for Best of Instagram
- The "Best of Instagram” category is considered as official Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019 Category.
- Photographs have to be submitted on Instagram on the Entrant’s private Instagram account.
- Caption for submitting an image to the contest requires tagging of our official handle @redbullillume as well as the hashtag #rbi19submission.
- Only single image posts will be accepted as a submission, gallery post entries are not allowed.
- The Best of Instagram Category will have a winner each month from February to June, 2019 (in total 5 monthly winners) .
- Submission Phase: 1st to 14th of each month from February to June 2019, starting and ending at noon CET.
- Community Voting: 15th to 22nd of each month from February to June 2019, starting and ending at noon CET.
- Evaluation of the winner: 23rd to the end of each month from February to June 2019; monthly winner will be contacted by Red Bull Illume Team for further alignments.
- The monthly winning images from February to June (in total 5 images) will be included in the 55 finalist images of the Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019 and will be on display in the exhibition. Winning photographers of the "Best of Instagram” category will be invited to the Winner Award Ceremony.
Images shot digitally or on film will be accepted. All film prints and transparencies must be drum scanned at high resolution and delivered digitally. No prints will be accepted.
Image Files / Format for Submission
Artwork needs to be created with a camera.
- Online submission format: JPG.
- Minimum picture size: 8 Megapixel (e.g. 3264 x 2448 pixel)
- Maximum file size: 15 Megabytes
- All digital images must contain original metadata. If such information is not provided, images may be disqualified.
- All images must be available for re-submitting in their original size.
- All semi-finalists will be required to re-submit the originals in RAW or tiff format.
- Images which were taken with a smartphone are allowed to every category as long as they fulfill the above mentioned requirements.
Best of Instagram:
- Online submission format: JPG.
- Minimum picture size of the original image on request: 8 Megapixel (e.g. 3264 x 2448 pixel)
- Maximum file size: 10 Megabytes
- Formats according to official Instagram requirements
- Instagram Filters are allowed. By using them we may request all versions of the image. (Please see the FAQ’s for detailed instructions on how to save all versions on an image using Instagram filters.)
- If you upload a photo which was not shot with a smartphone you must provide the original metadata on request. If such information is not provided, images may be disqualified.
- Stories are not allowed.
- Moving images are not allowed.
- Online submission format: mp4
- Minimum resolution: Full HD (e.g. 1920 x 1080 pixel)
- Frames per second: 25
- Recommended file size: 15 – 150 Megabytes (see more information in FAQ`s)
- Duration: from 5 to 30 Seconds
- Format: 16:9, 4:3, 1:1
- No tone: no music or any audio
- Only single takes
- Cuts only allowed to show alternative camera angles of the same moment/stunt (see more information in FAQ`s)
- Stop motions, hyperlapses, slow motions, rewinds, superzooms and boomerangs allowed
- Basic color correction, transitions and overlays allowed
- Visual manipulation of original footage forbidden
Official contest judges will base their decisions on a mix of technical superiority, composition, creativity, impact, artistic flair and overall qualities of photographic excellence.
A panel of about 50 esteemed photo editors from international top publications as well as digital photo experts will judge the 264 semi-finalists, 64 finalists, eleven category winners and one overall winner. The list of judges will be announced on redbullillume.com.
Pre-Selection Judging will be done by Red Bull Illume internal judging panel, consisting of several photography/ video experts.
This panel will choose 25 images from each of the eleven categories to advance to round one.
For the “Best of Instagram” category, a Red Bull Illume internal judging panel will choose 25 images every month from February to June 2019 to advance to monthly community voting. Pre-selection is ongoing during submission phase on a daily basis.
Furthermore, there will be a sixth finalist for the category “Masterpiece by EyeEm”. Red Bull Illume partnered up with the EyeEm Awards and the winner of their category “The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume” will be automatically a finalist at Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019. (See more information about the partnership between Red Bull Illume and EyeEm in “Specials”).
In addition to the Masterpiece category the following categories will have a sixth finalist coming from “The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume” category, which will be picked by the internal judging panel of Red Bull Illume:
- Creative by Skylum
- Emerging by Red Bull Photography
- Innovation by Sony
Official contest judges will receive the 250 semi-finalist entries (excluding the five Monthly winners from “Best of Instagram” as well as the nine images from “The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume” of EyeEm Awards). No metadata or photographer information is included to maintain impartiality. Each judge will vote for five images in each category to advance to round two. After all judges have voted, the five images of each category with the most votes will advance to round two. The five “Best of Instagram” Monthly Winners as well as the nine images from “The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume” of EyeEm Awards are automatically in round two.
Each judge will vote for one of the six finalist images (including five Monthly winners from “Best of Instagram” as well as the nine images from “The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume” of EyeEm Awards) in each of the eleven categories. The image with the most votes in each category will win first place honors. In case of a tie, the image with the most votes in round one will advance.
For the “Best of Instagram“ category, a community forms the round two. The vote takes place from the 15 – 22 of each month, from February to June 2019, starting and ending at noon CET. Users will vote for their favorite image out of the 25 pre-selected images on redbullillume.com. The image with the most votes will be the monthly winner.
In case of a tie
In case of a tie (in the first and second round), Red Bull Illume internal judging panel will cast a determining vote and choose a winner.
The decisions of the official judges are final, which for the avoidance of doubts includes that legal review of any such decision is excluded.
Official contest judges will vote from the eleven category winning images for the Red Bull Illume Overall Winner. The image with the greatest amount of votes will win.
Red Bull Illume partnered up with EyeEm Awards and is the title partner of the category "The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume" of the EyeEm contest. The winner of this category will be automatically a finalist of the Red Bull Illume “Masterpiece by EyeEm” category. Therefore, the “Masterpiece by EyeEm” category at the Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019 category will have six Finalists: five out of the submissions from Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019 plus the winner of "The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume" from EyeEm.
Additionally, the Red Bull Illume internal judging panel will pick eight more images from all entries of "The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume" category to add them as finalists to the categories described in the “Pre-selection judging” section. Also, these categories then are going to have six finalists instead of five.
Both the winner of the category "The Great Outdoors by Red Bull Illume" and the additional eight images picked by Red Bull Illume internal judging panel will be displayed on Red Bull Illume website, promotional materials of Red Bull Illume and take part in the worldwide Red Bull lllume Exhibit Tour 2020.
Overall and category winners will receive a selection of outstanding prizes from reputable photography brands with a total value of € 100.000,-
Sony α7 III ILCE-7M3 + Sony FE 24-105 mm F4 G OSS Lens (SEL24105G Kit)
3 x SanDisk Extreme Pro Memory Card (suitable for photographers` cameras)
1x Suitable SanDisk Card Reader
1 x SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD
Software package including Luminar and Luminar Signature Presets
Other software programs from Skylum
Category Winner Creative by Skylum: Global Skylum Ambassador status
High quality photography apparel and accessories e.g. COOPH Heatable Photo Vest
Red Bull Photography
Category WinnerEmerging by Red Bull Photography: Red Bull Rising Talent photography workshop in 2020 including travel, accommodation and board expenses
Sony α9 ILCE-9 + Sony FE-MOUNT 24-70/2,8 GM Lens (SEL2470GM)
Shoot with SanDisk Extreme Team Member<
3x SanDisk Extreme Pro Memory Card (suitable for photographers camera)
1x Suitable SanDisk Card Reader
1 x SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD
High quality photography apparel and accessories
Warranties and Representations
Submitting photographers must own all rights to any photographs entered in this contest. By submitting an image, the photographer represents and warrants that such submission and use as devised herein does not infringe any third-party rights (in particular copyrights, personality rights and data privacy rights) and or other rights protected by law.
All images submitted for consideration in the Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019 contest remain the sole property of the photographer. Entrants retain copyright over each of their images.
Entrants grant Red Bull GmbH and its affiliates, subsidiaries and partners the sublicensable, non-exclusive, worldwide and perpetual right to use and exploit the submitted images without compensation in the context of Red Bull Illume, the Red Bull Illume contests, the Red Bull Illume Exhibition Tours and/or for Red Bull Illume promotions, marketing, advertising, events and exhibitions of all kind. This includes the perpetual and worldwide use of the submitted images in any media, in particular any print-media (e.g. magazines, newspapers, books) and electronic/digital offline and online media (e.g. on Red Bull Illume or associated websites (such as all websites operated by Red Bull and its affiliates) or social internet platforms and third party networks and websites). To protect the copyright of the photographer, the Red Bull GmbH will use the submitted images only in low resolution whenever this is reasonable and technically possible (e.g. on the internet). Credits will be given according to the customary practice in the media business.
In the event a physical medium (e.g. book with semi-finalist images or digital edition thereof) is produced in connection with the Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019, all profits generated by Red Bull GmbH resulting from the sale of the medium will be donated to the Wings for Life foundation (https://www.wingsforlife.com/). Only Wings for Life will benefit from these sales. Photographers submitting to Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019, accept that their images could be used in such a medium and grant Red Bull a license to use these images for the benefit of Wings for Life.
Wings for Life is a not-for-profit spinal cord research foundation, with the mission to find a cure for spinal cord injury. Wings for Life funds world-class scientific research and clinical trials around the globe aimed at healing the injured spinal cord. Red Bull Illume supports this foundation and any donations to Wings for Life from Red Bull Illume will be used solely for the purpose of research and development.
We may suspend and terminate the Red Bull Illume Image Quest 2019 at any time, appropriately taking under consideration the mutual interests in duly conducting the Red Bull Illume Quest 2019.
The invalidity of one or more provisions in this Rules and Regulations/ Terms of participation shall not affect the validity of the rest of this document. The void or ineffective provision shall be replaced by Red Bull GmbH by such provision that best legally and economically approximates to the purpose of the void one.
These Rules and Regulations/ Terms of participation are subject to Austrian law. If User has its registered office in an EU-member state, in Iceland, Norway or Switzerland, any disputes shall be solved by the competent court for Vienna–Inner City, Austria. If User has its registered office in any other country, all disputes shall be finally settled under the Rules of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce by one arbitrator appointed in accordance with said rules. The place of the arbitration shall be Vienna, Austria.
We reserve the right to review and revise the Terms from time to time. You will be notified in due time of such changes, which will appropriately consider the mutual interests in duly conducting the Red Bull Illume Quest 2019. You will be deemed to have accepted any such changes if we do not receive an objection in legally due time of not more than four weeks subsequently to being made aware of our revised terms. We will duly make you aware of these consequences upon notification of changes. You should therefore check the website from time to review the current terms because they are binding on you. In case you object to the changes we may need to exclude the respective submission from the Contest.
Submit to the Image Quest 2019
You've read the rules and you're ready to go...