Red Bull Illume opens in Cologne
Red Bull Illume, the world’s premier action and adventure sports photography contest and exhibition, opened in Cologne, Germany last night in front of hundreds of spectators. The exhibition took place on the city's Rhine Promenade and was the perfect way for photography enthusiasts flocking from all over the world to kick off the renowned week-long photokina photo trade expo.
Scores of photographers and industry leaders including Leica's CEO Alfred Schopf attended the exhibition to take in the sights of the life-sized, illuminated lightboxes featuring the 50 winning images from the Red Bull Illume contest.
Many athletes also attended, among them Julius Brink, the German beach volleyball Olympic Champion, and BMX Flatland rider Viki Gómez who wowed visitors with some of his acrobatic moves.Alongside the athletes, the photographers were of course the stars of the evening.
“It's a great honor to be represented by Red Bull Illume, especially right before an international event as big as photokina,“ said Claudio Casanova whose image of a snowboarder seen through a crystal ball is a close-up category finalist. “The exhibition is a great showcase of action sports photography.”
The 2x2m lightboxes are on display until September 21, and the exhibition comes to life every evening from 7pm until 11pm. More information on the event can be found here.
The Cologne tour stop is the fifth stop after Hong Kong, Scottsdale, US, Vancouver, Canada and Atlanta, US. The exhibition is the first on European soil and will continue traveling around the world's capitals and cultural hubs for the next year and a half as a unique night-time exhibition.
Attend a photo workshop with Fred Mortagne
Would you like to attend a workshop with Leica & Red Bull Illume photographer Fred Mortagne in Cologne during photokina? Eight photographers will be chosen to first attend a workshop with Fred and then shoot Red Bull Offsprings – the German skateboard finals at the North Brigade in Cologne on Saturday, September 20th. After the event, you will receive constructive feedback on your images as well as suggestions how you could develop and improve your personal style.
To apply you need to send an email to workshop(at)redbullillume.com with one of your best action sports shots and a link to your portfolio (this can be your website, Tumblr, Flickr, 500px – wherever your images are on display) along with your contact details. Please note this must be a shot that YOU have taken! Applications close September 7th. Fred will be selecting the eight participants, so be sure you pick your best photograph.
Following the workshop with the Red Bull Illume finalist (and former winner), participants will be shuttled to the Red Bull Illume outdoor exhibition to wind down the evening enjoying some of the world’s greatest action sports and adventure photography. So what are you waiting for? Send in your application for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity today!
7 reasons to go to photokina
If you’re a photographer, you don’t want to miss photokina. It’s the world’s biggest photo trade show and from 16-21 of September, the who’s who of photography descend upon Cologne. Here are seven reasons why you should be there:
- Red Bull Illume exhibition – of course we had to include ourselves. Our exhibition is nearby at the Rhinepromenade, so swing by and meet a number of Top 50 finalists! Our limited edition Top 250 photo book will also be on sale at the exhibition. We’ll also be at Nord Boulevard A9/13 in photokina – this is the special ‘action’ area – so if you drop by, this is the zone you’re looking for!
- Young photographers can look forward to finding out more about broncolor Gen NEXT – a new project where broncolor kits out talented young photographers with the best lighting gear for photography and videography. (broncolor can be found in 4.1)
- Leica will occupy the whole of Hall 1 – as usual you can expect some interesting releases and an amazing exhibition!
- Red Bull Photography will be presenting on the Community Stage on Tuesday 16th September at 11am. Come along and get a little insight into the shoots coming out of Red Bull.
- Find out about the latest accessories from SUN-SNIPER & Sunbounce. You can be sure you’ll be able to handle the latest and greatest! (Both teams can also be found in 4.1).
- Rumour has it there is a new Nikon designed purely for action sports photographers. Why not get a first glimpse?
- Meet other action sports photographers – it’s a great chance to network and discuss the latest in photography. There will be a ton of live shoot demonstrations, talks, product releases and fascinating insight into the future of action sports photography!
We hope to see you there!
Yet another good reason to go to photokina…
The Red Bull Illume exhibition will touch down in Cologne, Germany during the week of the photokina photography expo. From September 15 - 21 the Top 50 images will be displayed in a dazzling nighttime exhibition along the Rheinau Harbor. Visitors can stroll through the free public exhibition and take in the life-size, illuminated light boxes from 7pm to 11pm. The exhibition will be accompanied by a music set played by DJ Teams Creme Flash.
If you’re a photography enthusiast and wondering whether or not to go to photokina, you now have no excuse! Find more info about the exhibition here, and join the Facebook event here.
Adventure Photography Lights Up Great Outdoors Photo Contest
Recently the winners of PDN magazine’s 2014 Great Outdoors photography competition were revealed, and the finalists included a number of Red Bull Illume photographers. Jimmy Chin, Michael Clark and Keith Ladzinski all landed top spots in the contest under the ‘Outdoor Sports & Activities’ category.
You can enjoy a selection of stunning action sports and adventure photography from the contest in the accompanying gallery. Click here to see the full gallery of winners on the contest website.