The following terms and conditions apply for your participation in the Red Bull Illume Special Image Quest 2020 (the “contest”), organized by Red Bull GmbH, am Brunnen 1, 5330 Fuschl am See, Austria. Herein we explain the rules of participation as well as how your submitted images may be used in the context of Red Bull Illume Special Image Quest. By submitting an image via Instagram by tagging @redbullillume and using hashtag #rbi20submission, the entrant accepts these terms and conditions.
- The contest is “open submission”.
- There is no entry fee.
- The term “images” refers to still and moving images.
- The term “content creator” refers to the creator of an image.
- Any creators of an image may submit (whether amateur, rookie or professional content creators or videographers).
- Content creators from all over the world may submit photographs. Excluded is only Brazil and people with main residence in Brazil.
- To enter this contest you have to agree to these Rules and Regulations/ Terms of participation.
- A submitting content creator is referred to as “Entrant”.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older to participate.
- If the subject of an image or a video is a minor (under the age of 18 or a minor according to the local law), the creator must provide a written release form on request, signed by the legal representative(s), e.g. parents or legal guardian of the minor according to local law.
- Upon request, content creators must include a model and location release for all images submitted. Failure to provide such release may result in disqualification.
- Only the content creators can submit their images. Images may not be submitted from a third party on behalf of a content creator.
- Content creators can only submit their images to one account.
- Entries may only be made by the authorized account holder at the time of entry.
- All images must be submitted through the participants Instagram channel by using the hashtag #rbi20submission, using the category hashtag #rbi20category (e.g. #rbi20unseen) tagging @redbullillume, tagging a friend to participate.
- Images that have been previously published or submitted to another contest, may be submitted.
- Images that have been digitally or otherwise modified to change the original impression are only eligible for submission in the “storytale “ category.
- Instagram filters are allowed.
- If any doubts occur regarding the authenticity of the digital image, the original file (RAW or original file in case of mobile) will be requested by the Red Bull Illume judges for analysis for all categories.
- Inappropriate submissions will disqualify the content creator from the contest.
- All decisions by the Red Bull Illume judges are final, which for the avoidance of doubts includes that legal review of any such decision is excluded.
Only images that capture the adventure and action sport culture and lifestyle may be submitted. Whether they take place in the air, sea, mountains, cities or on rivers and trails, a broad range of adventure and action sports submissions are accepted. Excluded, however, are traditional team sports and motor sports, such as Formula 1, stock and sport car racing and MotoGP. The decision to accept and judge will be at the discretion of Red Bull Illume judges. The Red Bull Illume judges' decision is final, which for the avoidance of doubts includes that legal review of any such decision is excluded.
Submission of Images / Specifications
- The submission phase for all categories runs for 5 weeks from June 1, 2020 at 00:00 CET until July 12, 2020 at 23:59 CEST. Images must be submitted during this period.
- Images must be submitted to one of the 3 categories by using the Hashtag of the category or via Instagram stories.
- Content creators may submit images to every category.
- Once an image has been submitted, it is final and may not be replaced by another image and cannot be moved to another category.
- Video submissions are allowed to be submitted to every category.
- Images have to be submitted on the Entrant’s Instagram account.
- Caption for submitting an image to the contest requires tagging of our official handle @redbullillume as well as the hashtag #rbi20submission and the category hashtag, either #rbi20unseen, #rbi20throwback, #rbi20homework
- Gallery posts will be accepted as a submission, but only the first image counts.
- The Red Bull Illume jury will select the 5 best still and moving images per category, plus the 5 best stories every week. This selection will be displayed on redbullillume.com where the community will have the power to vote for their weekly finalists in each category.
- The community voting takes place every week from Thursday to Sunday. The first round of voting is open from June 11 till June 14, 2020, during the second week of the submission phase. The weekly winners will be announced every Monday after the voting has closed.
- Every category will have one moving image & one still image winner each week. The Storytale category will have one winner each week (in total 7 weekly winners for 5 weeks).
- An external panel of judges comprised of photo editors, digital experts, and world-renowned athletes will then select the category winners and thereafter the overall winners.This time, there will be more than one overall winner because still and moving content will be adjudicated separately. Each category (with the exception of Storytale) will have a moving image winner and a still image winner, resulting in: 1 Overall Still Image Winner, 1 Overall Moving Image Winner, and 1 Overall Storytale Winner. The winners will be announced on July 30, 2020.
Image files/ Format for submission
- Basic color correction, overlays and Instagram Filters are allowed. By using them we may request all versions of the image. (Please see the FAQ’s for detailed instructions on how to save all versions of an image using Instagram filters.)
- If you upload a photo which was not shot with a smartphone you must provide the original footage & metadata on request. If such information is not provided, images may be disqualified.
- Duration: from 5 to 60 Seconds
- Basic color correction, transitions and overlays allowed
- If you upload a video which was not shot with a smartphone you must provide the original footage & metadata on request. If such information is not provided, videos may be disqualified.
Judging format - Photo & Video
Official contest judges will base their decisions on a mix of technical superiority, composition, creativity, impact, artistic flair and overall qualities of photographic and videographic excellence.
A panel of 5 esteemed photo experts and 4 athletes will judge the 7 category winners out of the 35 finalists and one overall winner. The judges will be announced on redbullillume.com.
Pre-Selection Judging will be done by Red Bull Illume internal judging panel, consisting of several photography/ video experts.
This panel will choose 5 still & 5 moving images from each of the three categories plus 5 stories to go into the community voting on redbullillume.com.
The community voting takes place every week from Thursday to Sunday on redbullillume.com. The first round of voting is open from June 11 till June 14, 2020, during the second week of the submission phase. Every user has one vote for his/her favorite still and moving image plus his/her favorite story per week. The weekly winners will be announced every Monday after the voting has closed.
An external panel of judges comprised of photo editors, digital experts, and world-renowned athletes will then select the category winners and thereafter the overall winners. Yes, there will be more than one overall winner because still and moving content will be adjudicated separately. Each category (with the exception of Storytale) will have a moving image winner and a still image winner, resulting in: 1 Overall Still Image Winner, 1 Overall Moving Image Winner, and 1 Overall Storytale Winner. The winners will be announced on July 30, 2020.
In case of a tie
In case of a tie (in every round), Red Bull Illume internal judging panel will cast a determining vote and choose a winner.
The decisions of the official judges are final, which for the avoidance of doubts includes that legal review of any such decision is excluded.
Warranties and Representations
Submitting content creators must own all rights to any photographs entered in this contest. By submitting an image, the content creator represents and warrants that such submission and use as devised herein does not infringe any third-party rights (in particular copyrights, personality rights and data privacy rights) and or other rights protected by law.
All images submitted for consideration in the Red Bull Illume Special Image Quest 2020 contest remain the sole property of the content creator. Entrants retain copyright over each of their images.
Entrants grant Red Bull GmbH and its affiliates, subsidiaries and partners the sublicensable, non-exclusive, worldwide and perpetual right to use and exploit the submitted images without compensation in the context of Red Bull Illume, the Red Bull Illume contests, the Red Bull Illume Exhibition Tours and/or for Red Bull Illume promotions, marketing, advertising, events and exhibitions of all kind. This includes the perpetual and worldwide use of the submitted images in any media, in particular any print-media (e.g. magazines, newspapers, books) and electronic/digital offline and online media (e.g. on Red Bull Illume or associated websites (such as all websites operated by Red Bull and its affiliates) or social internet platforms and third party networks and websites). To protect the copyright of the content creator, the Red Bull GmbH will use the submitted images only in low resolution whenever this is reasonable and technically possible (e.g. on the internet). Credits will be given according to the customary practice in the media business.
We may suspend and terminate the Red Bull Illume Special Image Quest 2020 at any time, appropriately taking under consideration the mutual interests in duly conducting the Red Bull Illume Special Image Quest 2020.
The invalidity of one or more provisions in this Rules and Regulations/ Terms of participation shall not affect the validity of the rest of this document. The void or ineffective provision shall be replaced by Red Bull GmbH by such provision that best legally and economically approximates to the purpose of the void one.
These Rules and Regulations/ Terms of participation are subject to Austrian law. If User has its registered office in an EU-member state, in Iceland, Norway or Switzerland, any disputes shall be solved by the competent court for Vienna–Inner City, Austria. If User has its registered office in any other country, all disputes shall be finally settled under the Rules of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce by one arbitrator appointed in accordance with said rules. The place of the arbitration shall be Vienna, Austria.
We reserve the right to review and revise the Terms from time to time. You will be notified in due time of such changes, which will appropriately consider the mutual interests in duly conducting the Red Bull Illume Special Image Quest 2020. You will be deemed to have accepted any such changes if we do not receive an objection in legally due time of not more than four weeks subsequently to being made aware of our revised terms. We will duly make you aware of these consequences upon notification of changes. You should therefore check the website from time to review the current terms because they are binding on you. In case you object to the changes we may need to exclude the respective submission from the Contest.